Proper, adequate therapies and rehabilitation can reverse many disabling conditions or can help patients cope with deficits that cannot be reversed by medical care. At Gleneagles Kuala Lumpur Rehabilitation Centre, we are dedicated to helping people with different levels of impairment, functional limitation, disability and other health related conditions. Our Centre offers some of the best rehabilitation services in the Klang Valley and the immediate region. We have a setup that ensure both clients and therapists enjoy a warm, lasting relationship and effective partnership to sustain the highest level of patient care. Our Centre provides treatments which are designed to facilitate the process of recovery from injury, illness or disease. We aim to enable our patients to reach the fullest physical, psychological, social, vocational, leisure and educational potential consistent with their physiological or anatomical impairment, functioning, environmental limitations, and desires of life plans. All patients are referred by a registered medical and dental practitioner. On receiving a referral, an assessment will initially be carried out by a therapist or a team before a treatment program is designed to accommodate the needs of the patient, either as an outpatient or inpatient. The patient and his family may also participate in determining realistic goals for the patient’s rehabilitation. Our services include:
Physiotherapy is usually prescribed to relieve pain, restore normal function and strength, prevent further injury and promote healthy living and lifestyles. It uses physical approaches to promote, maintain and restore physical, psychological and social wellbeing, taking into account variations in health status. The treatment is science-based; committed to extending, applying, evaluating and reviewing the evidence that underpins a condition. It aims to ensure maximum recovery and early independence of clients. At Gleneagles Kuala Lumpur, the majority of our clients are referred from inpatient disciplines and outpatient specialities. Our scope of services includes: Inpatients
- Physiotherapy and rehabilitation to non-operative cases such as musculoskeletal, neurological, cardiovascular, respiratory etc disorders
- Pre- & post-operative physiotherapy and rehabilitation
- Therapeutic management and rehabilitation to patients with musculoskeletal, neurology, cardiovascular, respiratory, urogynae, E.N.T and other conditions that result in functional limitations, disabilities and handicaps
- Early intervention rehabilitation program to high risk and fitness conscious clients
Therapy and rehabilitation services include
- Treatment modalities Electrophysical modalities, manual & exercise therapy
- Rehabilitation program: Special regime/protocol, sport, vestibular, diabetic, cardiac, hypertension, pulmonary, rheumatology, neurology (Adult and Paediatric), spinal, amputee, etc
- Fitness and exercises: Obesity, geriatric, preventions of fall, osteoporosis, early intervention and preventive exercise programs for fitness conscious individuals
- Special client management: Antenatal & postnatal, urogynae prolapse, incontinence, lymphoedema
- Consultation & education: Ergonomic, back & neck care, prevention and early intervention exercise regime
- Occupational Therapy
Occupational Therapy is the assessment and treatment of people of all ages with physical and mental health problems through specifically selected and graded activities. The therapy is offered in conjunction and collaboration with other professional workers in health and social services. The aim of the therapy is to help patients reach their maximum level of functioning and independence in all aspects of daily life, including their personal independence, employment, social, recreational and leisure pursuits and their interpersonal relationships. Therapy and rehabilitation services include:
- Cognitive-Perceptual Training Cognitive assessment, activities to improve memory, attention span and perceptual problems.
- Home Visits Evaluation And Modification Visits are made to the patient’s home to ensure safety and comfort, and to his work place to ensure accessibility and safety. Advice is offered on modification if and when required.
- School Visits Visits are made to the patient’s school to discuss with the school authority on any modification necessary. Patients will be reintegrated to the community with visits to public places.
- Self Care Training And Retraining Activities to improve grooming, hygiene, bathing, dressing and eating skills as well as on work and home skills, e.g. cooking, gardening and others. The patient and carer are taught to use assistive devices to achieve the above.
- Joint Protection Technique And Energy Conservation Education Program Discuss and teach technique/principles to help persons with arthritis cope with the demands of daily activities.
- Hands/Upper Limbs Performance Retraining Program Active or assisted therapeutic activities to improve hand and upper limbs task performance
- Rehabilitation & Home Support Equipment and Aids Assessment, supply, training and maintenance of this equipment.
Speech language pathologists help patients correct speech disorders or restore speech. Speech therapy may be prescribed to rehabilitate a patient after a brain injury, cancer, neuromuscular diseases, stroke, and other injuries / illnesses. The duration of the speech therapy program varies, depending on the injury / illness being treated and the patient’s response to therapy. Performed by a speech pathologist, speech therapy involves regular meetings with the therapist in an individual or group setting and home exercises. For example:
- To strengthen muscles, the patient might be asked to say words, smile, close his mouth, or stick out his tongue.
- Picture cards may be used to help the patient remember everyday objects and increase his vocabulary.
- The patient might use picture boards of everyday activities or objects to communicate with others.
- Workbooks might be used to help the patient recall the names of objects and practise reading, writing, and listening.
- Computer programs may be used to help sharpen speech, reading, recall, and listening skills.
At Gleneagles Kuala Lumpur, our speech–language pathologists work collaboratively with patients, families and related professionals to ensure the patient’s needs are addressed holistically. They assess and treat individuals from children to adults with speech, language, voice and fluency disorders. They may also work with people who have swallowing difficulties. Therapy and rehabilitation services include:
- Assessment Speech, language, voice & fluency disorders and swallowing
- Swallowing and Feeding Training Activities to improve on feeding, chewing and swallowing.
- Speech and Communication Training Activities to improve speech, understanding and reading. Alternative communication, e.g. communication aids may be used
Rehabilitation Medicine involves the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of people with limited function as a consequence of disease, injury, impairment and/or disability. It focuses on the structural and functional characteristics of people in relation to mobility, self-care and all other human activities and on the psychological responses and social consequences associated with loss of function. At Gleneagles Kuala Lumpur, the rehabilitation physician works in close collaboration with other medical colleagues ( neurologist, paediatrician, orthopaedic surgeon, urologist etc ) as well as allied health professionals ( physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech language therapist, prosthetist & orthotist etc ) in the development of rehabilitation program and also regular review of rehabilitation goals. Some of our specialized programs include neurological rehabilitation, spinal rehabilitation, paediatric rehabilitation and amputee rehabilitation.
At Gleneagles Kuala Lumpur, we believe that every individual is unique. Our therapists are always open to discuss your needs and work with you to tailor a treatment program to your specific requirements. We can be easily reached at 03-4141 3093 and 03-4141 3133.